Monday, May 3, 2010

I Have Been to Hell and Back...


I'm not dead!  I have marched through the gates of Hell and survived!
Holy fuck, RFK is a shitbox.  Good grief, man.  If MLS was a city, RFK would absolutely be the projects.

Anyway...
The Roadtrip Curse has finally been broken, for me (since joining ESC, something always comes up right before a trip to DC and I could never make it), and for my beleved Bulls of Redness (first win in DC since 2005).  I feel good.  Damn good.  5-1 good.  DC winless in last place good. "Groin-grabbingly good"*.

To be honest, I can't even bring myself to talk too much shit.  I honestly feel bad for DC United as a team.  The club itself and the fans?  Fuck 'em dry, but the team is so visibly miserable that it's not (as much) fun to kick them around in 2010.  I will, however, say that United's core fans should absolutely be ashamed of thems selves...

I've been reading/hearing alot about members of the supporters groups boycotting games and "protesting" because DC is complete shit this year.  Judging by what I saw in the stands and the silence I heard coming from the Eagles/Barra from the Salou goal on...I'm guessing it's all accurate.  DC united fans seem to be quitting on their franchise...and I'm stunned.  This is a team with 4 title banners in its stadium.  A fanbase who for 10+ years has done nothing but mock NY for it's annually empty house.  A fanbase who has claimed to be the best bunch of SUPPORTERS since MLS Day 1...and this is how they react to their first genuinely terrible season?  Are you serious?

There are many good reasons for hardcore fans to not be at games:  job, family, finances, etc.  But a 5-game losing streak by the most successful franchise in the league?  What a joke.  As a NY fan, I've heard EVERY possible argument for why one should/shouldn't support the home team, so don't e-mail or comment some bullshit about "we deserve better" or "our ownership isn't blah blah blah".  Do your jobs or disband.

With Philly's rookie status and DC's new found plastic-ness, it seems that the ESC/GSS boys from NY/NJ are running rival-free in 2010.  Shame.

And while I'm at it...
What the hell were the green and gold smoke bombs about in the Barra Brava section?  PLEASE tell me that wasn't some "United to United" connection about ownership hatred with the folks in Manchester.  There's no way DC fans are that stupid, right?

No comments: