Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jammin'

Doesn't seem to be much going on to talk (share 3-4 sentences about) today...
so I'm gonna go a little "left", as the corny commercial DJs call anything that isn't Top 40.

Let's take a brief journey through my favorite era in music (with all due respect to New Jack Swing): 80's post-disco electro-funk R&B . . .which I personally like to call Coke & B for obvious reasons.

Let's go back to a time when the suits were turquoise, Black women actually used mousse and the keyboards were held like guitars. I was but a young lad of single-digit age, but even then I knew that live instruments weren't totally necessary and the key to life was a heavy bass line and at least 4 "heeeeeey heeeeeey" ad-libs in a song.

With that magical time in mind, I present to you the Mount Rushmore (Extended Mix) of 80's Coke & B . . ."extended" because my list is actually 5 deep. These are the 5 artists that best personify the greatest "sound" that popular music has ever produced. Crack open a Bartels & James . . .and enjoy!

The System - You Are In My System


Colonel Abrams - Trapped


Alexander O'Neal - What's Missing



Loose Ends - Hangin' On A String


. . .and an Honorable Mention goes to Cameo's "She's Strange" because I can't embed the friggin' video!

No comments: