Friday, July 23, 2010

Obligatory Henry Post


Really don't know what to say...
Great night.  It was a friendly, so I couldn't care any less what the scoreline was.

Henry made it very clear that he's not from the same planet as the rest of his teammates.  Maybe I've been watching too much American soccer in person (impossible), but the subtle magic of Henry's passes, positioning and touch on the ball were almost freakish to watch.  It felt like we were cheating by having him on the field.  I can't even begin to imagine what that man is going to be able to do with a healthy Juan Pablo Angel lined up next to him.

BUT...I think the aspect of Henry's addition that's going to be most overlooked is him impact on the performance of those around him.  Joel Lindpere has arguably been the 2nd best player on the team all season...but last night, he was All-Star good.  You could literally see the extra determination on his face to make the right pass or fight to retain possession.  Mac Kandji looked like the the soccer version of an And1 Mixtape that we've all been waiting to see full-time for nearly two years.  I guess he figured that if Henry is bringing a spotlight, he might as well get himself a piece too.

I know I'm getting WAY ahead of myself...but after just 45min with him on MY team...in a friendly...I'm fully in "this is our year" mode.  And I love/hate it.  With or without the mystery 3rd DP, the Red Bulls have a chance to do some serious damage to league opponents this year, and I can't wait to be there for every moment of it.

No comments: