Monday, July 12, 2010

Red Bulls Ordering Barca Combo Meal?

You know that $6K Carl's Jr. combo meal at the Palms* in Vegas?  Well it looks like Red Bull New York might have ordered the soccer equivalent from Barca:  One large Henry with a side of Marquez.

...and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about it.

You already know how I feel about The Frenchist, but I've come a LONG way in accepting him as one of my own.  I think me and "On-Ree" are cool.  For now.

But Rafa Fuckin' Marquez?!?!  That's asking ALOT of me as a fan, isn't it?  It's almost impossible for me to imagine a world where actually singing songs of praise for Rafa Fuckin' Marquez is a reality.  I have a genetic predisposition to wanting this man dead.  He's not just a Mexican footballer, he's the Mexican footballer.  Everything that we've come to despise about our southern neighbors personified.

This is probably the part of the post where I'm supposed to tangent off into a Club v. Country debate.  But those are old, and they'll go on forever, because there is no right answer.  I WILL, however say that the Country side is losing even more goround for me, because as much as the idea of cheering for Marquez every week may cause me to vomit now . . .I know that after that first 5-game win streak I will have convinced myself that he's actually Portuguese or something, and forget that he ever played for Mexico.

This game is weird.  It's fans are weirder.

*If you're over 24 and even set foot in the Palms at this point, its time for you to re-evaluate your Vegas strategy.  They should just call it "Da Palmz by Ed Hardy" at this point and be done with it.

2 comments:

Brian said...

No offense, but I will be absolutely forced to fuckin hate you guys if you sign Rafael Marquez.

I was already thinking about going, but if Marquez is a Red Bull, I will most certainly go to LA on September 24th just to boo him.

Faux Fur and Soccer Shirts said...

Oh, I'm well aware that the Henry/Marquez combo would instantly make us the most hated team in the league . . .which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Having a team that everyone hates is good for the sport. What better city that NY? What more obnoxious, crude and vile fan base than us? Works out well, really.