Wednesday, November 24, 2010

In the Faux-topia...

'Twas the night 'fore Tenksgibbin', and all through the house...
A blogger was bored...something something...mouse.
So he banged out a post, with things that don't matter
and sent them as demands in an e-mail to Sepp Blatter.

Right.

So since everyone is flipping their shit about playoffs, and Cups and Shields and tables and whatnot, I figured I'd join in the party, because a) I'm SUPER bored, and b) all the cool kids are doin' it.

When you woke up this morning you said to yourself, "Bob...", you says, "I wonder what that Faux fellow thinks about the MLS playoff system".  Well here you go:

In the Faux-topia (my moderately realistic dream land / happy space in moments of terror)...
MLS is a 20 team, single-table league.  History remembers the Supporters' Shield winner as each year's Champion.  Where are the Playoffs?  Oh, they still exist...but as the League Cup.  See, I have no problem with the fact that the playoffs exist, I just hate how important they are.

Anyway...the Playoffs become the League Cup.  All 20 teams.  Straight knockout.  Played at the end of the regular season.  Seeding would be based on that year's final standings.  Top 4 get a 1st Round bye.  Everyone go nuts.

What do I think about The Don's proposed 10-team plan?  I'm torn.
On one hand, more games = more drama = more fun.
On the other, adding more mediocre teams to the Championship event of a parity-based league only serves to increase the chance of a bum squad like Colorado winning the title...again.  The issue with the playoffs is that it hasn't historically given an account of who was the best team in a given year, and I don't see how adding mid-table folks makes it any better.  And how does he make this work without dumping Conferences?

I think I'll save the full blown rant until the whole plan is revealed.

1 comment:

Alexander Kozela said...

not a bad idea. and then maybe have league cup winner vs. supporters shield winner duke it out for mls cup at a neutral site?? i'd be down