Friday, January 9, 2009

Japandroids!!!



Hypetrak is just full of good ideas, aren't they?

I have to admit, it might be physically impossible for me to dislike a band called Japandroids.
I'd like to make an attempt at describing them for you, but it's a little tough. The duo is sort of like some things you may have heard before . . .but not.

They sound like all the best parts of one of those unsigned bands (which they are) you hear live at a bar that has $4 Yuengling & Jager specials (an extreme compliment). It's raw, unpolished, jumbled, messy, screaming, throaty, dirty rock n' roll. Just the way I like it...heavy on the roll. And much like my favorite "band who I must see succeed befor I die", The Carps, Japandroids are a two-piece outfit who somehow manage to draw more sound out of themselves than should be humanly possible.

"They call it garage rock. They don't care what you call it, as long as it's not minimal. Japandroids are maximal - a two piece band trying to sound like a five piece band. Supporting Japandroids gets you into Heaven - no questions asked. KISS OFF."

C'mooooon, how do you not love that?!

You know what? They just inspired the flipside to my trademarked "Cognac & Blazer" music label. Behold: "Yueng & Jager" music!

No comments: