Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jay-Z - Pass The Roc



Someone somewhere has unearthed some pre-Reasonable Doubt Jay-Z tracks. Supposedly, more are to be released in the upcoming days. Including a few featuring Biggie.

Hmmm . . .
On the off chance this is true, I want to be the first to say this (and I will make/wear my own t-shirt that says "Ask me about my hip-hop journalism skills" if I'm right): My guess is that this song was intended for the NBA Jam Session compilation that came out in '94. That tape was the first time I remember hearing Notorious B.I.G. (on this song with Heavy D). It was released about 7 months before Ready To Die. Given the theme, style, and relative cleanliness of Jay-Z's song, I'll take a shot in the dark and guess that this is where it was supposed to end up.

No comments: