Friday, September 18, 2009

Is It Just Me . . .

. . .or is UEFA Champions League secretly the most BORING soccer on the planet?

Before you get your torches and pitchforks, let me clarify: I am fully aware that the UCL features the best clubs, best players, most evocative pageantry, yadda yadda of any non-international competition. I get it. I promise.

BUT...when it comes to the actual on-field product...it's the anti-sex. Mainly, I believe, because Europeans seem to have a tendency to play sports with a mentality of "don't lose" rather than "go win". You know what I mean? Every manager is so terrified of not leaving a match with at least a point, that Champions League strategies tend to be incredibly dull and ultra conservative.

I don't know about you, but there's only so much 4-5-1 defensive soccer that I can stomach. Wake me up when the group stages are over.

No comments: