Friday, September 11, 2009

Shot-Term FLASHBACK: The Rapture



Oh, yes! Tonight, at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ, I momentarily re-live the loooooong lost days of the mid-decade when I prowled the streets of lower Manhattan in a Pabst & Jager fueled haze in search of the nearest disco.

Ahhh...the colors, the sounds, the booze, the trust fund babies from the Upper West Side who pretended to be from Brooklyn. The horrible stink outside of the clubs that made it apparent why the Meat Packing District was given its name. The birth of neo-Brooklyn and my first parties in an industrial complex that's suddenly become a residence / show venue / art studio / factory. Saying to my friends, "nah, I'm taking it easy tonight", only to find myself walking out of some spot with the sun shining in my face at 6AM. The golden age of my now fading youth.

I say this as if I'm 40 or some shit. I just turned 27 crap's sake.

WHATEVER...I'm still nostalgic, because that magic, but tragically short period in NYC when elctro-dance-rock reigned supreme is something I'll always look back on and remember . . .and an era I could NEVER survive a second time around.

No comments: