Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kings of Leon: More "Radioactive" Than They Might Anticipate



[Editorial disclaimerOnly By Night was one of my favorite albums whatever year that was it came out, but I can't so much as even pretend to press play on anything from it at this point.  Why?  Partly because I'm a huge music snob in a very thin disguise, so it's mainstream appeal had a negative effect on it's staying power (sue me).  Partly because the album was too good, and reminds me too much of the very specific personal time period in which it was released]

First single from the much-anticipated album, Backlash.

Oh...that's NOT that album title?  Well, shit, they should have just went with that and saved everyone the trouble.  KoL are in a HORRIBLE position for this new release.  I can 100% guarantee that no one, in any sector or rock criticism will like it.  It's impossible.  The buzz blogs and cool kids bailed on 'em immediately after "Use Somebody" hit Top 40 radio, and I will bet a month's pay (all several dozen dollars of it) that this next album will be over-produced, over-thought, and over-polished...because that's how these things work...and the "mainstream" critics will kill it, because it lacks the "rawness" of the last LP.  Write it down.  It's a completely inevitable and unavoidable cycle.

I won't even get into the high-level awkwardness of the video.

You know exactly what I mean, too.
This band is SCREWED.

Black Keys...are you paying attention?!

No comments: