Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Lick A Shot For Obama!



[Note: This post was supposed to be a short blurb about something I heard on the radio and wanted to share, but it ended up free-falling into a political rant. Feel free to disagree with me, or skip the post entirely, I won't be offended. I know my opinion is as worthless as everyone else's in the grand scheme of things. Peace.]

Listen . . .I know what you're thinking . . .
"Is 'lick a shot for Barack Obama' REALLY the best phrasing possible"?
Eh, this is one of those times when you can't think too hard or be so literal.

I like this thing. Good music choice, and the Jay clip was a really nice find. Logical or not, Mr. Carter's words are a great reflection of why so much of "the hood" doesn't bother to vote. Personally, I'm absolutely AMAZED that so many Reagan (a.k.a. Satan) babies have enough faith in the Federal government that we even bother to jump on the Obama hope train.

Do I think Obama is the angel "we" all want him to be? Of course not. He is, after all, a politician. But honestly, friends...if McCain/Palin and this point in history isn't the definition of "unelectable", then I don't know what is.

Only 3 reasons to vote for John McCain:
1. You are rich (meh, fair enough).
2. You are racist (an asshole).
3. You vote along party lines, regardless of the issues or a candidate's policies (a moron).

As crazy as it sounds 4 years later, voting in Bush for a second term was far more defensible in 2004 than a McCain vote is in 2008. At least in '04 election, we were still coming out of the post- 9/11 hangover, we were still operating under the illusion that Saddam had WMDs pointed at our friends houses, and John FrankenKerry was completely useless and unappealing, even to Democrats.

But McCain?! Really?!

I have friends who intend to vote for John McCain, and when I ask them why, the only responses I ever get are " government spending" and "taxes". The simple and immediate reply is "well, what about Obama's plan to cut taxes for all families making less than $250K/yr . . .or that unjustified war in Iraq that's cost $845 billion directly, and affected our economy to the tune of an estimated $3 trillion?" The answer: "well...Democrats always spend, that's what they do". Wow...thanks for the input.

I fully respect everyone's right to an opinion...as long as it is at least somewhat informed. I'm just not getting that from McCain supporters. I'll end this rant with one question for anyone planning to vote Republican in November: In terms of the matters that the American government can influence, what about your life, the lives of those around you, America, or the world as a whole is better now than it was 4 to 8 years ago? If you are honestly and truly comfortable with your answer to that question . . .go ahead . . .vote McCain.

No comments: