Friday, October 17, 2008

More New Kanye . . .

"Coldest Winter"


I might like this with a few more listens (or someone else singing it).
Better than "Heartless", that's for sure.

I'm an a little concerned that all 3 songs I've heard from 808's and Heartbreak are pretty similar conceptually and sonically (I deeply apologize for using "Rolling Stone" rock-snob words, but I couldn't think of a better way to say it.)

UPDATE:
Word . . .so I've listened to it 4 times now. I'm officially down with this.
Ye's voice is still 8 kinds of terrible, but the song works.

However...after a brief trip around the webs, it doesn't appear that everyone agrees. Most Hip-Hop heads are pissed (the dreaded "Sell-out" tag is being thrown around kinda heavy in the skreetz). The rockers are more tolerant, but alot of them aren't buying it either. Looks like this will be the album that brings Kanye back to earth. Either that, or he will rise to full "Efph you, I do what I want" status and see these reactions as a personal triumph. I'm hoping for Plan B.

I'm not too big on artists that make music to please fans. Don't tell us what we like! We already know. Show us what you're down with, and let us decide if we agree.

So, success, or fail . . .I'm rollin' with Mr. West on this one.

No comments: