Tuesday, December 22, 2009

An American's Soccer Observation . . .





It was a very productive lunch, because this also ran through my mind.

America is the poster child for the "country over club" side of the soccer fan debate.  There's no doubt.  I assume this is largely because our clubs (those of us with the good sense to support a local "club") are aware of the general irrelevance of our teams, while our Nats compete with the best of the best, yadda yadda yadda...

3-5 yrs ago, I'd say that I was a huge fan of everyone on the US National Team, regardless of where they played or what they did...but as my passion for MLS grows, I've come to notice that for the first time EVER, there are American players, National-Teamers at that, that I just dont likeSpecifically the 2 pictured...even if one of them is trying his damnedest to become "underground" soccer's new face, a la Sacha Kljestjan in 2006*

The Theory:  My emotional ties to my club have spiked so much in recent years that perceived injustices to my local team can alter the way I view a player, even if he's wearing a US shirt.
The Smaller Questions:  Am I alone in this?  Am I late to the party?
The Big Question:  Is this actually a GOOD thing.  Does the fact that I can actively dislike a US National Team player show progress in the evolution of the American fan?  


*I see what you're up to Holden, you can't  fool me!  You're still a dirty, late-tackling little Hollister model of a whining son of . . .::ahem::

4 comments:

Brian said...

I kinda feel you on this one, especially if we're talking about Sacha Kljestan. Plays for Chivas, he's a little shit talker, and he's sucked on the national team for the past year or so. It's almost too easy to hate on him.

I don't share your Holden hate. Even as a Galaxy fan, I can't help it, I like the guy. Sure, I was rooting again in the Western conference final, but he's played pretty damn good for the national team since his debut in the Gold Cup. As for Casey, I used to be all aboard his hater train until his 2 goal performance in Honduras. It makes it a lot a harder to hate on him, but I'm sure a few more invisible performances and missed sitters (9th minute of Costa Rica game in RFK), and I'll be back on the hate train. I sure hope to God, he won't be starting in South Africa.

Faux Fur and Soccer Shirts said...

I dig Kljestan, actually. I was drawing a comparison between him in 06 and Holden now in terms of blog/fan love/cool guy status.
What irks me about Holden is that 1) I think he's a borderline dirty player, but gets a pass for it, and 2) He's clearly aligning himself this offseason to be the American Beckham, and you already know how that f**ker bugs me.
The Casey hate is much simpler and less rational (this IS sports after all): He looks like he might be a dick in person, and he has an annoying habit of getting 60% o his goal totals against NY.

Overall, I think it's a good thing that American club love has come so far that we "hate" our own.

Brian said...

Kljestan seems to be a cool dude in person. The guys at BP_TOW seem to be real cool with him. However as a Galaxy fan I can't like him. I think what really started it for me was his performances for the national team within the past year, and then all the Superclassico games have increased my dislike for him. The last straw was when he ended up on the cover of FIFA 10. Nice one EA!

And yeah I think it's a good thing too, it shows that we as MLS fans are getting more attached to their clubs and players. I've always wondered how other countries feel about these things. Like if you're a Chelsea fan and an England fan, how do you feel about Gerrard when he's playing for the national team?

Brian said...

*to our clubs and players