Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Telling Observation . . .


As if it wasn't obvious already, I've been sucked right into the annual retrospective mood that sweeps over everyone in late December.  I was heating up some leftover grub for my personal lunchification needs and something very interesting (to me, anyway) struck me...

If I were to pick the 3 songs I was most disappointed with, in terms of expectation vs. outcome, this is the easy Top 3:
1.  Jay-Z ft. Kanye West & Rihanna - Run This Town
2.  Drake, Kanye West, Lil' Wayne & Eminem - Forever
3.  Clipse ft. Kanye West - Kinda Like a Big Deal
(I link as if you don't have these songs memorized at this point)

Notice the common link between them?
Kanye West.

The first two are outright bad, and the third is a solid "meh".  If asked, I would quickly name Kanye as my overall favorite current solo artist/pop culture figure . . .so what does that list mean?  Are my expectations for anything Kanye-related too high?  Do I over-analyze shit that he's on?

My half-baked personal theory:  He'll never admit it, but Kanye took the post-808's backlash to heart.  Everything he's done since has been a bit high on the cliche meter.  As if he wrote/recorded verses in character of what a "rapper" is supposed to be in 2009, so the average fan would get off his ass.

::abrupt post ending::

No comments: