Friday, December 18, 2009

Risking My Internet Life . . .


I know my readers are mostly "lurkers", as internet slang goes.
I know within a few hrs, 50 of you will read this, but none of you will comment.
BUT, I honestly and truly need some feedback on this one.

Help me understand the obsessive fan following of Jay Electronica.

I'll pose the same question that I asked ISPS of The Original Winger:
Maybe you can explain to me what it is I'm not getting about the Jay Electronica craze.  He's nice, no doubt.  But for 2yrs, he's been the biggest thing on the "underground" scene literally since Mos and Kweli in like '98.  Perfect example is this song [Exhibit C].  It's been talked about for MONTHS...but its not even on par with throw-away tracks from Joell Ortiz or Joe Budden!  Yes, Jay Elec does his thing, but the cult following is seriously overblown.  I don't get it.
To be SUPER clear, because I know how you JE fans get (I read the JE vs. Lupe boards on OKP):  He's nice.  I efphs with his shit...but not a single song has moved me to the degree that I've even posted it here.  They're all "OK" to me.  No hate.  No diss.  None of that.  I am honestly, and truly curious.  What is the big deal about Jay Electronica?

4 comments:

bohnzilla said...

i seen the same post on TOW earlier today. and read the comment:

“Jay Electronica, song of the year…” And yeah, Jay is right where he needs to be'.

I'm not a seasoned hip hop critic (which is why i got FF&SS bookmarked...hahaa) but song of the year? it left a bland taste in my mouth after listening.

Faux Fur and Soccer Shirts said...

I'm with you. It's a good song, for certain, but it's in no way exceptional. I hear a dozen new songs on par with it every week.
And be clear, it's not just ISPS' opinion. Exhibit C has ACTUALLY won hip hop song of the year on a site or two.
Considering the onslaught by Ortiz and Lupe's new mixtape...it's not even song of the last month, but for some reason, JE's following is massive.

isps said...

...in my defense, lol, the "song of the year" was what my boy told me...I dig the song, but I'm with you guys 100, I wouldn't say its the best ish I heard in 2009 - but the dude who sent me the file, is a hip hop head - he still wears big ass headphones and rocks a backpack to work, he's the one that said its the song of the year. My music taste are all over the board and I'm much more practical...if I can't work out to it, play it the gride, listen to it through the surround sound in my apt, and still say turn it up when I'm in the car while someone else is driving, it doesn't qualify as song of the year. You don't even want to know what I would say is my (practical) song of the year...

Faux Fur and Soccer Shirts said...

I think I may have to go on a Woodward and Bernstein style invesigative spree to find out what's so special about this dude.

And don't feel bad, my album of the year hasn't even cracked most Top 40 lists.