Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Saul Williams - DNA

After all this time, I still don't know what to think about Saul Williams. He's the type of artists that I'm cautious to pledge my allegiance to. When it comes to the typical pop artist, I don't have to put much thought into anything, because in the end . . .the music is just a snack. Disposable stuff designed to satisfy my sweet tooth. Nothing more than that. But Saul Williams is different. What he's presenting is good soul food . . .and that makes me a little apprehensive.

Is Saul Williams crazy creative, or just crazy? Is his spectacular bohemian image legit, or just a front. Do I have any specific reason to doubt Saul Williams? No. None whatsoever . . .beyond my natural skepticism, anyway (and maaaaaaybe that Nike commercial . . .and the fact that he stole my girl, Persia White...but I digress). Music with a message can be a powerful thing, and fraudulent artists have a special place in my F*** You Hall of Fame (give me a few beers and ask me what I think about Tupac Shakur someday).

The original point of this post was to hip you Saul's new video for "DNA". It's exclusive to Stereogum, you'll have to go there to peep it. I dig Saul Williams, and I think the "scene" needs a dude like him. Here's hoping he's for real.

No comments: